If you go by car
- Inter-American highway but taking the desviation that goes towards Sardinal. One part of this road is paved and another is dirt road.
- Inter-American highway and detour towards Las Juntas de Abangares. (Pavement and dirt road).
- Tilarán Highway – Monteverde. This route is dirt road, but a stretch is paved.
There is also a bus service that offers two regional companies that take you from Tilarán to Monteverde: Transportes Hermanos Solo and the Transmonteverde Company which will also bring you to Puntarenas, Las Juntas and San José.
Bus company Transmonteverde
- Monteverde – San José: 6:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m.
- San José – Monteverde: 6:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m.
- Monteverde – Puntarenas: 5:45 a.m.
- Puntarenas – Monteverde: 2:15 p.m.
- Monteverde – Las Juntas – Puntarenas: 5:00 a.m.
- Puntarenas – Las Juntas – Monteverde: 1:15 p.m.
- For more information call: 2645-5159 / 2222-3854
- Bus company Hermanos Soto
- Monteverde – Tilarán: 7:00 a.m.
- Tilarán – Monteverde: 12:30 m.d.
For more information call: 2645-5824 / 2645-5647 / 2695-6236
To reach Monteverde follow the Inter-American Highway from San José to the north. At kilometer 149, just before crossing the bridge over the Lagarto River, turn right and proceed on a dirt road about 35 kilometers. If you use public transportation, you should know that in Puntarenas a bus leaves for Santa Elena every day and there is another bus from San José to Monteverde. Taxis are also available from Santa Elena to the Reserve.
It is recommended to use a vehicle with double traction.
If you go to the Reserve Monteverde
The Monteverde Cloud Forest Biological Reserve is reached via a dirt road (it is recommended to enter with four-wheel drive vehicles). Follow the Inter-American Highway North of San José until kilometer # 133, here turn right towards Sardinal until Santa Elena (about 29 km). When entering the community of Santa Elena, it is necessary to continue 6 km following the indications that arrive until the entrance of the Reserve.
If you go on public transport
For those who use public transportation, there is a bus service that runs from San Jose to Santa Elena (community 6 km from the Reserve) twice a day, at 6:30 am and 2:30 pm (Auto Transportes Tilarán 506) 2222-3854.
The journey takes 4 hours.